Friday, January 2, 2015

Not a Silent Night Everywhere...



I had a rare opportunity to share Scripture on Christmas Eve with two non Christian families that I have known for years; as teens and then as adults.

Luke 2:1-19 was appropriate for the children.  Yet when the children had gone off to play, I asked if I could share the battle that had happened on that very same night.  With puzzled looks, they said they’d never heard of it.

“Well, it’s not for the fearful or those that don’t want to know about spiritual things,”  I said.  In their curiosity, they asked me to share.

I had been reminded of the story a few weeks before by my boss sharing about a  sermon at his church.  I then looked up again Revelation 12 and remembered my own revelation about the story, when my own faith was new.

Yes, God waits on us, but He deeply desires a relationship with us, too.  I remember my southern grandmother calling Jesus the “hound of heaven.”  “He has our scent and He follows our trail, seeking relationship with us, unceasingly.”

Revelation 12 speaks of Mary and the birth, yet from the spiritual perspective and the battle that was waged for our Savior to come to redeem us.

The story sparked discussion of dragons, demons, the devil and angels.  Prayerfully, I waited for the Holy Spirit’s timing.  So, when it came, I was able to answer their questions about salvation with the truth of the gospel, simply and clearly.

God deems free will sacrosanct.  Yet, that doesn’t weaken His heart to meet us and abide with us in deep relationship and faith.

As we Christians all know, life is messy and far from perfect.  Every choice, every act always has several layers of influences.  Circumstances, baggage, emotions,  materials needs and fears all play their part in all our choices.

I think we sometimes forget that God wants all of it, even the ugly stuff.  We forget, in the heat of the choice, that He will stand, unafraid.  He will face all comers without hesitation.  He smiles in acceptance when we demand that He be involved.  He cries only when we look into His eyes and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep in clean, relevant, and insightful! =]