Monday, December 29, 2014

We Are Resources for Refugees



ROP was visited by three women from a church on the Southwest side of metro Denver, looking for resources for the refugees who sought help from their large church, but live in our neighborhood.

The church had risen to the occasion and were starting to outreach with them in North Aurora.  However, they didn’t know what additional resources might be available in the local area.  They had dropped by to learn more.

I filled them in about what is available at ROP.  I shared the struggle that many of us have about finding resources and tracking them for our communities.  Yet, the most interesting part of the conversation happened when the topic turned to some of the frustrating attempts to have mothers adhere to the rules.

I asked for an example.  “How do we get them to put shoes on their children in winter?”
“Don’t let them on the bus,” another suggested.  They explained that many of the children they picked up for children’s church were in flip flops, even with snow on the ground.  I asked what their mothers had been wearing on their feet. They looked at each other and then me. “I don’t recall.”

I explained that we had noticed an  issue with the children was often mirrored with the parents.  Slippers, sandals and flip flops were common.

In getting to know the moms, we were able to get a read on the fact that shoes were bought that were familiar to their culture before climate was considered.  Once bought, the money or shoes could not be replaced easily.


We began offering shoes, but the families were reluctant to accept.  They had bought shoes, they were providing for their children, they would make do.

Then I got to know one mother even a little better.  I shared with her about my own children and the way they grow so quickly, the colds that they bring home from school, the price of medicine and my desire to see them healthy.  I shared about husbands doing so much for the family and we women making things stretch.  As a friend, the shoes were welcomed.  I received a beautiful scarf in return.

We don’t all learn from cultural cues on the nightly news (in English) or what other cultures are wearing (they’re different).  Yet, trusted information can come from one another through relationship.  Friends that we feel know us and are not attempting to change us, only help us grow.

God built us to be the best resource to one another, even if it’s helping a friend link into other trusted resources, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep in clean, relevant, and insightful! =]